Slow blockrate woes?

As I noticed recently when it took hours for my mincoin transfer to confirm... we don't seem to be hitting anything near the desired "1 minute per block" rate. At least for the past day or two, it looks like we've only been getting about 3-4 blocks per hour on average.

So, what happened? Was there recently a large exodus of MNC network hashpower? Maybe after the difficulty was pumped high, some big miners/pools redirected their hardware to a different altcoin and the MNC network hashrate crashed?

How long is it until the next difficulty update? Is the difficulty expected to drop then, to bring us closer to the 1-minute block rate?

Sorry for the newb questions.

Hrm, it's strange.  According to http://www.coinwarz.com/difficulty-charts/mincoin-difficulty-chart, the difficulty has jumped drastically, and according to mcxnow, the hashrate is ~56Mhash.

I suppose it could be that, but someone else should probably confirm or correct me.

Ah, thanks for that link! I hadn't found a good resource for tracking cryptocoin difficulty levels before this one. 

Whoa, looks like the difficulty just recalibrated. It jumped from 8.583 down to 1.145, but then the blocks started flying in too quickly—a dozen or so per minute...

At this low difficulty, 60 new blocks were mined up in just a few minutes, triggering the next difficulty recalibration, which jumped it up to 2.145, where blocks were still coming in too fast... ~8 per minute. So again, in just a few minutes another 60 blocks were chained and the difficulty recalibrated again, now up to 4.292, with a network hashrate at over 2000 Mhash/s, soon dropping to ~1740 Mhash/s, and then up to ~3426 Mhash/s (according to mnc.vircurpool.com) all within a matter of minutes...

This seems pretty dang volatile right now... =T

EDIT: By the time I submitted this post, the difficulty level had actually risen all the way back up to 8.583 again, and now the're 20+ minutes between new blocks... =[

Whoa, looks like the difficulty just recalibrated. It jumped from 8.583 down to 1.145, but then the blocks started flying in too quickly—a dozen or so per minute...

At this low difficulty, 60 new blocks were mined up in just a few minutes, triggering the next difficulty recalibration, which jumped it up to 2.145, where blocks were still coming in too fast... ~8 per minute. So again, in just a few minutes another 60 blocks were chained and the difficulty recalibrated again, now up to 4.292, with a network hashrate at over 2000 Mhash/s, soon dropping to ~1740 Mhash/s, and then up to ~3426 Mhash/s (according to mnc.vircurpool.com) all within a matter of minutes...

This seems pretty dang volatile right now... =T

EDIT: By the time I submitted this post, the difficulty level had actually risen all the way back up to 8.583 again, and now the're 20+ minutes between new blocks... =[

Yeah, it can be a bit crazy at times, especially when MinCoin/bitcoin rate increases or decreases dramatically in a very short period of time. When MinCoin price moves up very quickly multi-pool jumps on the network and hammers it with like 2GH, then they hop off as soon as % profitability decreases in relationship to mining other crypto's. This leaves us with a very high Diff and a low supporting hashrate :(